Thursday, March 1, 2012

United 93: Memories. Unity?

As I watched United 93, I remembered the day that I learned about 9/11.  I was too young to understand what the news were speaking of on the TV, however, what I learned from the visual representations at 6pm on September 11, 2001 was the simple and sad fact that people had lost their lives by planes that made their way into buildings. I remember leaving our living room and looking straight ahead from our kitchen window which faced the only airport in Armenia. It was my habit to stare at the planes at the airport fly and land all day long and be happy that maybe one day I would be lucky enough to fly somewhere in an actual plane. It was a dream for me.  On that day, (I remember it as it was yesterday; I can literally picture the sky that evening any time I think of that horrific day in my head. it was rainy and ugly and gloomy) after looking out the window at the airport ahead I was not happy. I looked ahead for a while and I cried. I did not realize what had happened but I knew I gave up on my dream. Or rather, I was dissappointed and wanted to find another dream to strive for. Today, as I watched this film I cried again. I am not American and I cannot put myself into Americans' shoes and I don't know how I would feel if I were one , but it does not stop me from feeling fear or even anger. Ever since I gave up on my dream I have been scared. When I grew older and learned more about that day, I always asked myself, "What if?". What if those passangers were lucky to take control of the plane? Or, what if our airport security was safer? What if that 4th hijacker changed his mind at the last minute? As I watched the film again, these questions were in my mind and I wanted to picture the outcome of those things! I wanted to know that there would have been some reasons for me to hold on to my dream back then.
This film, although I am not sure how accurate, still demonstrates the events of that day. I really think that by watching this America will stand united more than ever. However, I do think that it is sad to have such events to serve as reasons for unity. [And, I do find it interesting how the people in the film were united and the airline company was "United ..."! ] I do think that this film is very strong. It delivers such an important message that is essential for us, all members of the world community to follow. We need to be united and set aside our differences and hatred. Of course, there will always be people who do not agree or who choose to merge into the wrong lane, however, being united and loving each other is the only way to achieve that what is perpetual. Maybe peace? This film should become an exemplar for each and every one of us to stand together - as those passangers did; to strive for goals that we all have in common and finally, and hopefully, have a peaceful society with no holy wars or wars on terrorism, which maybe can be eliminated through brotherhood and common understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment