Thursday, February 2, 2012

New York, New York- B.O.B.
I can honestly say that I am a fan of all music. Not saying that I don't like the other videos/songs about 9/11, i just prefer something more upbeat and fast paced. I would rather prefer something modern to say the least. In this case I like this song by B.O.B. he talks about 9/11 attacks from many points during that day I feel like. He talks about the troubles that were present on that day, for instance he states at one point when he is on a CB radio saying breaker breaker 9 breaker breaker 1 9, he is asking for help at this point to get an operator on the phone line because he wants to report the attacks. Then he states that this isn't a riot its way more then that. He means that these people aren't running to cause trouble like a riot but, they are running because they are afraid for their life. they are currently running to save their own life and try to get to safety. Then when he finally gets on the phone call since so many people are calling them responding to the attacks, many are put on hold. When he finally got through they had him do some things to narrow down people's calls which is typical nowadays with issues "please press this number if you need help with...". This is very annoying to many people especially to people who were trying to call and get through to the police right away just to tell them what is going on. One of my favorite lines in this song are BoB's last lines "Let them know we run this shit, And let them know just how you feel the way your country is". He doesn't get specific by saying "them" over and over again. He tells us to show our feelings as a whole, not as an individual but how the overall mood/feeling is of the country at this particular time of our life.

Analysis of The Lyrics
This is a website that many people can show their views of the lyrics line by line. I use this website to analyze many songs.

4 comments:

  1. Chad, thanks for posting. I liked the song partly because I have always hated Sinatra and New York, New York.

    I gather the song was written to accompany Crysis 2, set in post-apocalypse New York in the year 2023. Of course, it will inevitably be associated with 9/11. This is an interesting phenomenon. Many people responded to the attacks of 9/11 by saying it was like a movie. In many ways, disaster movies anticipated the terrorism. Life imitating art. I'm not a gamer. Perhaps the same thing is happening in the gaming world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to hear more of your analysis of the song, since I found some of the readings on the analysis page a little questionable, dubious, or weak. Hip-hop often employs quasi-apocalyptic imagery to describe urban decay and ghetto hopelessness, and so I thought the song was alluding to that more than 9/11. But the fact that there might be some parallels between the phenomenon of urban blight and 9/11 is worthy of exploring further.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This song is actually one of my favorites, so I was pretty excited to see the title on the blog page. I don't believe the song was written about 9/11, nor do I believe it was written specifically for the video game Crysis 2. I think that B.o.B. is talking about the overall state of our nation, and how the economic state we are in is completely destroying the social welfare of our nation. That being said, I think his lyrics were definitely influenced by 9/11, and made more powerful because of the images that are induced by using the line "towers are falling" in a song called "New York, New York." The rest of his lyrics seem to be about poverty, and the struggles faced by the impoverished, especially the newly impoverished, and the younger generations growing up in poverty. I definitely understand how this song can be interpreted as a song about 9/11, but my sociological bias causes me to interpret this in a similar way to Dr. Metres.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually also like this song and the artist very much. Like Chad, i prefer a more upbeat and modern approach. I find the differing views about this song very interesting. When i listened to the song and read through Chads post, i was able to definitely draw the comparisons to what he was saying in regards to 9/11. But then after reading Tim's post i was able to see where he was coming from also. In the end, i think this song may have a meaning closer to that of Tim's than of 9/11 but i definitely think he uses those phrases like "towers are falling" to tie in the disaster and negative feelings of 9/11.

    ReplyDelete